Tuesday 30 September 2014

Book Review: Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion



Title: Warm Bodies (Warm Bodies #1)
Author: Isaac Marion
Pages: 204
Genre: Romance, Horror (Zombies), Fantasy 
Published: October 28th 2010 by Random House Vintage
Source:  Library Book
Synopsis: 

'R' is a zombie. He has no name, no memories and no pulse, but he has dreams. He is a little different from his fellow Dead.

Amongst the ruins of an abandoned city, R meets a girl. Her name is Julie and she is the opposite of everything he knows - warm and bright and very much alive, she is a blast of colour in a dreary grey landscape. For reasons he can't understand, R chooses to save Julie instead of eating her, and a tense yet strangely tender relationship begins.

This has never happened before. It breaks the rules and defies logic, but R is no longer content with life in the grave. He wants to breathe again, he wants to live, and Julie wants to help him. But their grim, rotting world won't be changed without a fight...

Review: This review contains spoilers, beware your mind (get it?)

I decided to read this book, because the movie looked interesting. Good thing I didn't see the movie then. Because I think this was a good book. It was enjoyable. 

Okay so Warm Bodies is about a zombie named R, because that is all he remembers from his life before he became a Zombie. That is what I found weird, why did he remember that one thing, out of everything about his life all he could remember was the letter R?

So R and the other zombies live in an airport, I like that, because they say disease/viruses are passed best at airports. What the zombies do is basically walk around all day, moan, and eat live people. 

So one day R is hungry and him and M (R's best friend) and some other zombies head into the city where they stumble upon a group of teenagers, they basically kill them all. This is where R meets Julie. Julie is an alive human, and R decides to bring her back with him to the airport. 

R becomes fascinated with Julie, after eating her boyfriends brain (which gives R, the boyfriends memories), so R keeps Julie inside his 747 planes for like a week, while she is there, R starts to regain some speech, as is able to hold a conversation longer. This is when people start to notice that R is changing. 

So Julie goes back to the "safe center" but R wants to be with her, so he manages to sneak in, this was one of my favourite parts of the book.

Basically Julie and R's relationship reminds me so much of Romeo and Juliet. Ding ding ding, I reckon that was what Marion was trying to do, you know by giving them the names Julie and R. 

Basically they save everyone, and the zombies can slowly become alive again, but some people do die in the process. 

Okay, so I liked this book but then I didn't. For some reason the character Julie, just peeved me, I don't know why she just did. And on occasion R peeved me also. I really liked this idea, and how it was written, I just felt it could have been longer, maybe more stretched out, as it felt rushed in places. 

Either way I enjoyed this book, and I reckon anyone interested in zombies, end of the world, romance-ish stuff should check it out!!

Rating: 

No comments:

Post a Comment