Monday 29 September 2014

Book Review: The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick



Title: The Silver Linings Playbook
Author: Matthew Quick
Pages: 289
Genre: Adult (contemporary, romance, mental health)
Published: April 27th 2010 by Sarah Crichton Books
Source:  Library Book
Synopsis: 

Meet Pat Peoples. Pat Peoples has a theory that his life is actually a movie produced by God, and that his God-given mission in life is to become physically fit and emotionally literate, whereupon God will ensure a happy ending – which, for Pat, means the return of his estranged wife Nikki. (It might not come as any surprise to learn that Pat has spent several years in a mental health facility.) 
The problem is, Pat's home now, and everything feels off. No one will talk to him about Nikki; his beloved Philadelphia Eagles keep losing; his old friends are saddled with families; he's being pursued by the deeply odd Tiffany; his new therapist seems to recommend adultery as a form of therapy. Plus, Kenny G keeps haunting him!
The Silver Linings Playbook is the riotous and poignant story of how one man regains his memory and comes to terms with his wife's betrayal. Matthew Quick takes us inside Pat's mind, deftly showing us the world from his distorted yet endearing perspective. The result is a touching and funny novel that helps us look at both depression and love in a wonderfully refreshing way.

Review:

I was really really excited to read this book, as I wanted to see the movie, but found out it was based on a novel, which I decided to read first.

Since there is only one copy of this book at my library, and many many many people wanted to read it, I waited almost the whole year... and there are still 29 people waiting to read this!

Okay so the book follows Pat Peoples who's been living in the "bad place" since in incident occurred a few years prior. Pat doesn't remember anything really, and thinks he's only been in the bad place for a few months rather than multiple years.

Pat believes in Silver Linings for everything. He is trying to become a better person for his wife, so that "apart time" finishes sooner rather than later. 

When Pat comes back home, he lives with his parents. He goes over to his friends house for dinner, and this is where he meets Tiffany again. 

Yada yada yada, Tiffany and Pat become friends. I like their friendship. They do dancing. They become friends kind of, I don't know, its weird and awkward but I like it? 

Okay at the end of the day, I didn't like this book no where near as much as I thought I would. I didn't connect to the characters, some pissed me off, and others I just didn't understand. 
I feel kind of disappointed, but maybe that is because I thought this novel would be AMAZING, which i'm not saying it isn't, I just didn't LOVE it. 

I do like it enough though to give it 3 stars, I think it deserves those stars, as I like how the characters grow, and Pat come to turn about things in his life. I feel like a tad let down about the ending, but oh well.

I am now very excited to see this movie, as from the reviews i've read, it seems that the movie is better than the book (which i'm sure plenty of people disagree that point too).

I also agree, and do think that this is the adults version of The Perks of Being A Wallflower, which I enjoyed a lot more. Maybe I don't think very highly of this novel due to my age. 

At the end of the day, it was an average yet interesting read.

Rating: 

No comments:

Post a Comment