Tuesday 30 September 2014

Book Review: Lock & Key by Sarah Dessen



Title: Lock & Key
Author: Sarah Dessen
Pages: 421
Genre: Contemporary, Romance
Published: March 1st 2009 by Puffin Books
Source:  Library Book
Synopsis: 

"Ruby, where is your mother?" Ruby knows that the game is up. For the past few months, she's been on her own in the yellow house, managing somehow, knowing that her mother will probably never return.That's how she comes to live with Cora, the sister she
hasn't seen in ten years, and Cora's husband Jamie, whose down-to-earth demeanor makes it hard for Ruby to believe he founded the most popular networking Web site around. A luxurious house, fancy private school, a new wardrobe, the promise of college and a future—it's a dream come true. So why is Ruby such a reluctant Cinderella, wary and defensive? And why is Nate, the genial boy next door with some secrets of his own, unable to accept the help that Ruby is just learning to give?

Review:

Okay so this is my second Sarah Dessen book, and I am going to give her yet ANOTHER another chance to get me to like her novels, because I am told over and over that she is a brilliant author. But yet again I am let down. 

There was nothing wrong with the plot. My problem was Ruby and the other characters. She gets no resolution. Why does she chuck that key? It is apart of her? WHY oh WHY. 
What about the yellow house? What happened there?
What about her Mum? 
What about her DAD, she did absolutely nothing about him. So why did they discuss him so much? 
And Cora becoming pregnant, wow that was kind of predictable (don't get me wrong it was really lovely, I just didn't see why it happened then).
I know it was like meant to symbolize the new beginning of their family or whatever. But I didn't think it needed to happen, because they had already formed a family. 
I really did love Jamie though, he was my favourite character, by far. He was just lovely, and always saw the best in people, even if there was only a tiny bit of good in them. He was just wonderful, I want a friend like him, and his POND oh my. He loved that pond, and so did I. 
Nate was just so damn PERFECT. I could not stand it. How did no one notice that he was sad, or not "all there". Or the marks on him? Did he wear makeup to deceive everyone? I just did not understand. And why did he never speak out? 
And him and Ruby, I just didn't understand it. I don't know why, it just felt weird to me. But then again I am glad that they found each other. 

I just kind of feel weird about this book, I don't know, there was something off about it to me. So I apologize if I took this novel in the wrong way. 


Rating: 

No comments:

Post a Comment