Tuesday 30 September 2014

Book Review: Liar by Justine Larbalestier



Title: Liar
Author: Justine Larbalestier
Pages: 330
Genre: Paranormal, Mystery, Fantasy, 
Published:  2009 by Allen & Unwin
Source:  Library Book
Synopsis: 

Micah Wilkins is a liar.

But when Michah's boyfriend, Zach, dies under brutal circumstances, the shock might be enough to set her straight. Or maybe not. Especially when lying comes as naturally to her as breathing. Was Micah dating Zach? Did they kiss? Did she see him the night he died? And is she really hiding a family secret? Where does the actual truth lie?

Review:

When I picked this book up at the library I was excited, it sounded interesting. It was told from the point of view of a compulsive liar, so it had to be an okay read.

I dislike this book so much, I actually dropped it on the ground SO MANY TIMES. 

The protagonist Micah annoyed me so much. She is so self absorbed it was crazy, I never knew whether I should believe what she was saying or not due to her lying ALL THE TIME. And the fact that was openly and willingly had a relationship with an arse of a boy while he was in a relationship with another girl, plus she was obsessed with him. 

So then we get to part two of the book, which is 100-150ish pages in. And it reads, I am a werewolf. Um okay, if I wanted to read about damn werewolfs I would, I didn't want too. I almost decided to not finish the book, but I don't like doing that. 

By this stage I was so over this, I was confused if this was a lie or the truth? Because did Micah have a brother or not? Did she have sex or not? I was confused. And I only got more confused the more I read. 

Her parents kicking her out? Like really abandoning her on a farm? Was this true or a lie? 

At the end of the book, I was hoping for some resolution, as to what was true and what was not. But it was a let down. I finished the book wondering what the hell was true and what wasn't. In the end this book annoyed and pissed me off too much for me to even try to like. 

This book was too confusing and personally horrible. I'm sorry, but not sorry. This is one of those times I feel really let down by a book.....

Rating: 

No comments:

Post a Comment