Tuesday 30 September 2014

Book Review: Leaving Paradise by Simone Elkeles



Title: Leaving Paradise (Leaving Paradise #1)
Author: Simone Elkeles
Pages: 303
Genre: Contemporary, Realistic Fiction, Romance
Published: April 8th 2007 by Flux
Source:  Library Book
Synopsis: 

Nothing has been the same since Caleb Becker left a party drunk, got behind the wheel, and hit Maggie Armstrong. Even after months of painful physical therapy, Maggie walks with a limp. Her social life is nil and a scholarship to study abroad—her chance to escape everyone and their pitying stares—has been canceled.

After a year in juvenile jail, Caleb’s free . . . if freedom means endless nagging from a transition coach and the prying eyes of the entire town. Coming home should feel good, but his family and ex-girlfriend seem like strangers.

Caleb and Maggie are outsiders, pigeon-holed as "criminal" and "freak." Then the truth emerges about what really happened the night of the accident and, once again, everything changes. It’s a bleak and tortuous journey for Caleb and Maggie, yet they end up finding comfort and strength from a surprising source: each other.

Review:

I gave this book a shot, because I enjoyed Simone Elkeles writing in the Perfect Chemistry series .

I wasn't too sure how i'd feel about this book after reading the blurb. I just couldn't see how Elkeles would make this an Elkeles book. 

Basically the story follows Caleb and Maggie. It alternates POV's throughout the book, between the two characters. The issue here (as well as her other novels) is how long each chapter is. Some seem way too short, because then when you turn the page BAM its a completely different POV. 

The pace of the book too, can seem a tad off beat. That's because, sometimes the next chapter is like a week later. And that is an okay thing, just not when you spend lots of chapters on one event or a day. Because personally that can be confusing, and make you lose your pace with the story. 

Maggie. How do I start? Why do you still like Caleb, like he almost KILLED YOU, and you still like/love him. I don't understand, i'd personally get really angry at him. 

Caleb, hmm. I'm not too sure what I thought about him, I wasn't too fond of his attitude and his mannerisms. Plus that massive secret. Um okay. Didn't see that ever happening, and why would Caleb still act like that? 

This story was really well written, I love Elkeles writing style and her ability to write teens as they are. 

I didn't like the ending. I thought it could have been a stand alone book (if you added like 30ish pages). But that ending. I laughed. Why. Like really?
WAS ALL THE PROGRESS IN THE BOOK FOR NOTHING?

I'm also over these "romantic" scenes in Elkeles books. I don't think that happens to every single couple. 

Overall i'm giving this 2 stars. And now I have to wait like ages for the second (and hopefully last book) so the series will be complete (cause my library is slow with getting new books)!!!


Rating: 

No comments:

Post a Comment